Issa Rae is set to produce and star in a remake of the 1996 hit film “Set It Off.”
What We Know:
- Rae, who also stars in and produces the hit show Insecure, is reportedly in the beginning stages of the remake of the film, reports Essence. The film focused on four friends who pulled off a sting of bank robberies in Los Angeles, due to their financial struggles. The original film starred Jada Pinkett-Smith, Vivica A. Foxx, Queen Latifah and Kimberly Elise.
- Before the news broke of the remake, Pinkett-Smith reportedly said that she does not think that there needs to be a remake.
- According to BET, she said “If they decide to do an extension of it in some way, recast it in some way, I personally think that’s just something you leave alone,” she said. “It’s a classic, it’s done.”
- While some of the fans of the original movie have spoken out on Twitter that they aren’t in favor of the remake, there are fans that would like to see the production.
- Those in support have suggested that artist Young M.A. and Keke Palmer, be of the few selected for the film. There hasn’t been any official word from Rae on the cast or production. She is currently filming the fourth season of Insecure, on HBO.
Rae is adding to her body of work, one show and movie at a time.
— mpoweredbyme (@mpoweredbyme) September 23, 2019
— Petty Pendergrass (@Sir_Swindle) September 17, 2019