Rapper Kanye West announces that he will no longer make rap or secular music and will continue to focus on the gospel genre only.
What We Know:
- This past weekend, Kanye West was due to drop his ninth album, Jesus Is King. After being pushed back for a year now, it is still unclear when the highly anticipated album will drop.
- The album was due to drop throughout the Friday, September 27th-Sunday, September 29th weekend, which was indicated by beauty mogul and West’s wife, Kim Kardashian on her social media. Although it hasn’t been released yet, West held three exclusive listening parties that weekend.
- The parties were invite-only and held in Detroit, Chicago, and New York City. Before fans entered each event, they were asked to turn over their phones, at the request of West.
- During the Chicago event, West made the announcement that he will no longer be making secular music and will only focus on creating gospel music. Due to him confiscating all of the guests’ phones until the end of the event, this announcement was never recorded.
- Andrew Barber, the creator, and owner of the Fake Shore Drive blog tweeted, “The beats on Jesus Is King sounded fire. He definitely pulled from elements of previous sounds that people loved from Watch the Throne, 808’s [& Heartbreak], Yeezus, Cruel Summer and MBDTWF [My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy] and put a gospel spin on them.”
- During each show, Kanye also debuted a new docufilm, entitled, Jesus Is King: A Kanye West Experience and also showed the cover art for his new album.
Just heard Kanye’s new album Jesus Is King and saw the accompanying film. My favorite track is the last song and it features the Clipse. Both Push & No Malice. Kenny G is also on it. “New Body” has been cut from the album.
Here is the art pic.twitter.com/u87FLTDhZO
— Andrew Barber (@fakeshoredrive) September 29, 2019
I’m actually anxious and excited to hear Kanye’s new album. What about you all? Let us know in the comments!
kanye was going off pic.twitter.com/bte7WTuA5x
— scatt GSR (@scattonthatrack) September 29, 2019