In a recent Good Morning America interview, Demi Moore shared the details of a devastating memory from her childhood.
What We Know:
- Demi was just a 15-year-old teenager when her mother, Virginia King, allegedly gave a man permission to rape her in exchange for five hundred dollars. Demi shared that her mother battled many hardships, including alcoholism and suicidal attempts. She also later discovered that the man she loved and knew, Danny Guynrd, wasn’t her biological father. Guynrd eventually left Virginia and Demi behind, which is what sent her mother on a downward spiral.
- At just 15-years-old, Demi became deprived of her childhood and had to grow up quickly to care for her unstable mother. Demi’s mom abused alcohol and often took teenage Demi to bars to attract the attention of men, which is where Demi’s mother would ultimately meet her daughter’s rapist.
- According to Demi, the man who sexually assaulted her received keys to her home and gained permission from her mother to carry out the treacherous act. Demi reiterated the chilling comment the man made while raping her. “How does it feel to be whored by your mother for $500?” the man asked her.
- Although, Demi doesn’t believe her mother organized the crime as a transaction, she feels as though her mother gave the man permission and placed her in harm’s way. When asked by Diane Sawyer if she believed her mother sold her Demi took a minute to think. “In my deep heart, no. I don’t think it was a straightforward transaction. But she still did give him the access and put me in harm’s way,” she replied.
- Demi Moore’s new memoir, Inside Out, dedicated to her mother and daughters dives into many issues she’s encountered throughout her life. She shares the details of her troubled childhood, three marriages, substance abuse and her career journey.
We commend Demi for being able to share such a difficult past with the world. In addition, we hope that Demi is able to heal and prosper from all of her unfortunate experiences.