Mathew Knowles, the father of R&B singers Beyonce and Solange Knowles, reveals he’s battling breast cancer.
What We Know:
- Being that October is breast cancer awareness month, Mathew Knowles, 67, revealed that he’s battling breast cancer. During an interview with Good Morning America host Michael Strahan, Knowles explains how he found out about his diagnosis.
- Knowles says that around July of this year, he and his wife began to notice small dots of blood on his shirts and in their bedsheets. NBCNews states Knowles’ first reaction was, “Why me? Of all the things I could get, why would I get this?”
- Knowles underwent surgery at the end of July and says he feels “really good” now. “I’m hoping by me coming here today, speaking out, letting folks know that you can survive this. But it has to be early detection. And I can’t overemphasize the word early,” expresses Knowles.
- The American Cancer Society states that there will roughly be 2,670 new cases of invasive breast cancer in men throughout the United States this year. 500 of those men will die from the disease. The society also declares that black men are prone to have a worse prognosis.
- After finding out about his diagnosis, Knowles says he’s been looking at life differently and is focused on having better health. “I stopped drinking. I wanted to just have a clean bill of health. Things that used to be important, Michael, are not important to me now. I just look at the world differently.”
Sending love and light to the entire Knowles family.