Colin Kaepernick’s representatives released statements today to clear up some facts surrounding their client.
What We Know:
- On Thursday, Kaepernick’s representatives released a list of statements to address what they deemed false narratives about him. The two-page document was titled “Facts to Address the False Narratives Regarding Colin Kaepernick”.
Colin Kaepernick’s representatives released statements today to clear up some facts surrounding their client: pic.twitter.com/Wo86KTkKDM
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 10, 2019
- In March 2017, Kaepernick became a free agent when he was forced to opt out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers. “His reps state the Niners didn’t give him an option to remain with the team and said he’d be released if he didn’t opt out,” according to Bleachers Report.
- Three years have passed since the 31-year-old started the movement of kneeling for the national anthem to protest racial injustice and police brutality. Kaepernick stated, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppressed black people and people of color.”
- Kaepernick’s representative Jeff Nalley said, “I have reached out to all 32 teams about Colin’s employment, with little to no response from teams about an opportunity for Colin, in 25 years, I have never seen anything like this.”
- He eventually filed a collusion grievance against the NFL after no team was willing to sign him; he reached a settlement in February.
He has yet to receive any offers from NFL teams.