With the year winding down, Issa Rae is showing no signs of letting up. If anything, she is just getting started. The actress, director and producer has revealed her newest venture, her record label, RAEDIO.
What We Know:
- Raedio is a partnership with Atlantic Records and the label will also supervise the music on HBO’s A Black Lady Sketch Show, which Rae produces as well, according to Variety.
- On Friday in a short yet deliberate message, Issa Rae took to Twitter to deliver the news of the new record label and its’ first artist, TeaMarrr, and the release of her new song and video “Kinda Love”. Issa Rae even makes a cameo in the music video.
Beyond excited to present the first amazingly talented artist from my new label, @TheRaedio, TeaMarrr (@ImalilTcup)! https://t.co/DcPqanQu15 pic.twitter.com/gF0SKbtJXj
— Issa Rae (@IssaRae) October 18, 2019
- According to the announcement, Raedio serves artists and creators at the highest level as an “audio everywhere company”. The label is also a platform that aligns acts with film and television projects, commercials, podcasts, and other endeavors.
- Issa Rae’s ability to provide the perfect soundtrack to scenes within her hit show Insecure on HBO, shows her connection to the music world, with features from Jazmine Sullivan, SZA, City Girls and more.
- In a press release, Issa Rae stated that “Music has always been an essential part of every project I do and working with emerging talent is a personal passion”. She continued, “Raedio allows me to continue that work within the music industry and audio entertainment space. The Atlantic team are innovators in terms of shifting and shaping culture. I’m excited to join forces with them to discover new artists”.
- Issa unpacks the making of Raedio in this video below:
The ratchtastic #Raedio journey, as told by Issa Rae. pic.twitter.com/5BvYbhwBfO
— The Raedio (@TheRaedio) October 21, 2019
- TeaMarrr is a Boston-born, Los Angeles-based, Haitian-American singer-songwriter who broke through last year with the single “One Job.” Its eye-catching video racked up more than 1.2 million streams and caught the attention of Issa.
Watch TeaMarrr’s “Kinda Love” music video below: