For nearly 20 years, the “Cha Cha Slide” has boomed from speakers at parties all over the world and the creator of it is celebrating a huge victory-he beat cancer!
What We Know:
- Willie Perry Jr., known as DJ Casper, was diagnosed with kidney and liver cancer in 2016. This was not his first time coming into health issues. At just 2-years-old, he contracted lead poisoning and at 22-years-old he suffered from a brain aneurysm. He also discovered that he had detached retinas which led him to have major eye surgery.
- It was a life or death situation that led to a long, hard journey. Although it was a struggle at times, DJ Casper’s cancer is now in remission and he says he’s a changed man.
- “Maybe in the process of me going through the cancer situation, that was God’s way of just slowing me down just a little bit,” he said. “But he kept me here for a reason, definitely for a reason.”
- He regularly goes to Stroger Cook County Hospital to meet with other men fighting similar health battles. Cancer specialist Dr. Courtney Hollowell said DJ Casper makes a major difference.
- DJ Casper also regularly attends charity events and plans to host them around Chicago.
The “Cha Cha Slide” turns twenty next year and DJ Casper is hoping to break the Guinness World Record by having people all over the world do the dance at the same time to raise money for cancer research.