According to the Hays County Sheriff’s Office, the footage shows a female student hitting Tiffani Shadell Lankford. The authorities say that Lankford is shown on video repeatedly punching a special needs student and then stomping her head.
What We Know:
- The school officials called the authorities and Lankford was immediately fired. Tim Savoy, a spokesman for the school district said in a statement, “There is absolutely no excuse or circumstance that can justify what you see unfold on the video…It is unconscionable what this adult did to one of our students.”
- School officials said that the incident took place in a Spanish class that Lankford was teaching. Lankford started working for the district in August and taught her first class in September.
- Lankford was arrested on Friday and online records show that she was released on a $10,000 bail. It’s unsure if she retained an attorney.
- According to CBS News, the 15-year-old victim who has epilepsy is being treated with severe injuries.
- A fellow student who doesn’t want to be identified said the teacher became upset after students started laughing during class. “Me and a group of friends were all laughing…It was just a joke, somebody said.”
The injured student’s family attorney has issued a statement. “This is unacceptable, to say the least, and we will demand justice to the fullest extent of the law.”