Authorities would not release the cause of death for Goo Hara. This isn’t the singer’s first suicide attempt.
What We Know:
- Hara was found unconscious in her Seoul home in May after she posted the word “Goodbye” on her Instagram account. The post was later deleted.
- The 28-year-old singer was found and taken to the hospital. According to a Japanese outlet, Goo Hara later apologized to her concerned fans for causing a commotion.
- It is assumed that the episode was possibly caused by the rise of fame.
- A month after her hospitalization, she posted on social media post threatening to sue those leaving harsh comments and revealed she was suffering from depression.
- Goo has also been in a public dispute with her former boyfriend Choi Jong-bum. Goo accused Choi of blackmailing her and threatening to release a video of the couple having sex. Jong-bum denied those claims but earlier this year he was found guilty for blackmail and assault and was given a suspended sentence.
- After Goo’s death, a number of fans gathered to mourn the singer’s loss in front of the hospital she was taken to in Seoul’s Gangnam district. One fan said as soon as she heard she went to the hospital. She said she studied music and called Goo her “strength.”
- Fellow K-pop singer Kahi remembered the singer by posting a photo of Goo and talked about the pressures of fame.
- Popular Korean rapper Dindin expressed his condolences saying Goo tried to be a helping hand during his rise to fame and he felt like he failed her by not being there enough. “But I haven’t done anything for you and I haven’t been a help … I’m very sorry,” he wrote on Instagram. “I’m so angry and hate this world. I wish you happiness where you are,” he said.
A similar situation happened to 25-year-old singer Sulli who passed away last month from an apparent suicide. Sulli and Goo were close friends.