Veronica Hilda Theriault worked as a chief information officer in Australia for a month where she was making around $22,500 before being fired.
What We Know:
- Theriault told the court she submitted a fraudulent resume with false information when it related to her education and prior employment. After she was called back for an interview, she posed as her previous employer during a reference check. Theriault also used a photo of supermodel Kate Upton as her LinkedIn profile picture.
- After starting her position in August, she tried to get her brother hired even though he didn’t fit the qualifications. The department started becoming suspicious of her ability when her mental health started deteriorating.
- Judge Micheal Boylan took Theriault’s mental health into consideration but he also added that the charges are serious and mentioned that her actions were deceitful. “You fraudulently obtained employment for which you were paid a large salary and in the course of which you may have had access to sensitive material,” he said.
- According to 7 News, Theriault’s defense counsel told the court previously that she was embarrassed and ashamed for her actions.
- Theriault pleaded guilty to all charges and received a 25-month sentence with a non-parole period.
The court also revealed that Theriault previously used resumes with false information to obtain employment from two other companies in 2012 and 2014.