As Lizzo’s hit song “Juice” came over the loud speakers at a LA Laker’s game, Lizzo gave everyone a show by turning around, exposing her backside and hitting a quick “twerk”. Both the internet and Lizzo responded.
What We Know:
- The 31-year-old pop singer attended the Los Angles Lakers matchup against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday and sparked some controversy with her choice of outfits. The black t-shirt she sported covered her from the front, but the backside featured cut-outs which revealed her thong and fishnet stockings.
- Lizzo sparked a debate over what is appropriate attire in public and whether she was more harshly judged because of her size.
This is not about Lizzo being fat, twerking, or hating on her. This is about her seeking attention, coming into an arena with kids and family dressed inappropriately. I haven’t seen RiRi or others do this. Her thong was showing before the twerk then she proceeds to make it worse.
— Chad (@16_Titles) December 9, 2019
- Some critics simply thought that the outfit was not in good in taste.
Dunno how we got to the point where we can’t criticize Lizzo or her songs cos she’s fat.
Everything is fat shaming with you people.
Her outfit was tacky and trashy.
I’d probably say the same thing if a slimmer artiste wore it idc.
— Adunni Adaora Achebe (@Adunni_Achebe) December 10, 2019
- Lizzo posted a clip of Rihanna twerking behind the scenes of the Council of Designer of America Awards in 2014. She captioned the tweet as “MY INSPIRATION.” Later in the evening, Lizzo addressed the controversy head on during an Instagram live. “Never ever let somebody stop you or shame you from being yourself,” she said in the livestream. “This is who I’ve always been. Now everyone’s lookin’ at it, and your criticism can just remain your criticism. Your criticism has no effect on me.”
- Lizzo began to get emotional and teary-eyed when discussing her life before the fame, which included a lack of funds, homelessness, and dark times after her father’s death. But Lizzo remained solid by saying “Nothing really breaks my joy”.
- She said “I’m a really solid, grounded person, and I know that I’m shocking because you’ve never seen in a long time a body like mine doing whatever it wants to do and dressing the way that it dresses and moving the way that it moves.”
Lizzo is still feeling “good as hell,” letting her fans know that she will remain strong.