A federal judge has ruled that the city of Dallas is in now way responsible for the wrongful death of Botham Jean.
What We Know:
- Just months after they sentenced former officer Amber Guyger to 10 years in prison after murdering Botham Jean in his home, the family has lost their civil case against the City of Dallas. Botham Jean suffered fatal injuries after being shot by Amber Guyger who entered his apartment, which she believed to be her own.
- Botham Jean’s family filed their civil suit a month after his death and received some unfortunate news from U.S. District Judge Barbara Lynn after her ruling. The judge decided that there was no true connection between the city’s police department and Amber Guyger’s actions.
- According to the civil suit, Botham Jean’s family believed that there was a lack of proper training by the Dallas Police Department and that if proper training was provided Botham Jean might be alive today. Unfortunately for them, the court didn’t agree with their notion and found no evidence to support their claim. According to Yahoo News, Judge Barbara Lynn wrote: “upholding a magistrate judge’s decision and dismissing the city because the suit failed ‘to state a claim upon which relief can be granted’”.
- Although the civil lawsuit was dismissed against the Dallas Police Department, it is still within the family’s rights to appeal to the judge’s decision. The Jean family’s attorney, S. Lee Merrit, will help them proceed with their appeal against removing the city of Dallas from their lawsuit.
- The public is just as outraged about the dismissal of the civil lawsuit as they were when Amber Guyger received her light prison sentence. Many people also believe that Botham Jean’s brother’s forgiveness hug with the woman who murdered his brother could have played a part in this decision. One Twitter user wrote, “City of Dallas deemed not liable for the Murder of Botham Jean. But hey, Amber got her forgiveness and hugs so it’s good right?”
This is decision is unfortunate for the Jean family. Hopefully, there will be a better outcome once the family files their appeal.
City of Dallas deemed not liable for the Murder of Botham Jean. But hey, Amber got her forgiveness and hugs so it’s good right? SMH
— Royce Evans (@HookheadGeneral) December 30, 2019