Brittany Christina McKinney killed daughter Mkenzie, 10, niece Serenity Rose, 2, and Jerry Griffin, 61, in their North Carolina home on Sweet Birch Drive.
What We Know:
- According to local station WGHP, Thursday, McKinney, 29, made her first appearance in court since being charged. McKinney’s sister and mother tell that it is a difficult time and truly tragic for the entire family.
- Specifically, WGHP reports, during the timeframe, McKinney made a heart-wrenching phone call to her sister. “She said, ‘I Killed everybody. I shot everybody in the house,” said Delilah Merritt, McKinney’s sister. “She’s like, ‘My baby, my baby, I shot my baby’. And then I said, ‘Where’s Serenity?’ and she said, ‘I shot her too.'” That’s when Merritt knew something had happened and called for a welfare check on the McKinney’s home.
- Veronica Hayes was with McKinney less than 30 minutes after the tragedy struck. Hayes said, “I was just trying to make sure she was OK, not knowing what had happened moments before. I think she was a little disoriented at that point.”
- McKinney crashed into a utility pole and Hayes’ car on Wendover Avenue, just moments after the alleged killing took place. The vehicle driven belonged to one of the three victims.
- Friends, family, and neighbors are still in shock as to what happened. Friends and neighbors created a mailbox memorial outside where the tragedy occurred. On it are pictures, cards, flowers, and purple balloons.
Thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends, and community.