The announcement was made January 2nd that Netflix’s popular series Raising Dion will be back for a second season.
What We Know:
- Raising Dion is a Netflix original superhero-drama series based on the comic book series of the same name by author Dennis Liu. The comic book has been described by The Guardian as a “diverse comic book that turns it’s back on superhero tropes”.
- The series was originally adapted into a short film in 2015 where it garnered a lot of online popularity. Then, a couple of years later Netflix ordered the series for themselves.
- Raising Dion follows Nicole and her super powered son Dion, as she tries to protect him from sinister forces looking to exploit his special abilities.
- In addition to being ranked #10 on Netflix’s most popular series list of 2019, Raising Dion was also the #1 most popular kids and family series for last year, solidifying its renewal chances. It was the first official renewal of 2020.
- Season 2 includes eight one-hour episodes and Carol Barbee will return as the show-runner.
- Michael B. Jordan will be returning as Executive Producer for the second season. Production will begin this year which means the series most likely won’t return until at least early 2021.
- The announcement was made as a moving video featuring Senegalese painter Bou Bou painting a portrait of the series’ leads Nicole played by Alisha Wainright and our favorite little hero Dion played by newcomer Ja’Siah Young. When asked about the series Wainright said, “You come across so many superhero stories that usually are from the perspective of the person inflicted with the powers.” Adding that “It was so refreshing to hear the story from the person who’s life is so dramatically affected by that: the caregiver of that young person.”
Raising Dion 100% needed a second season and we look forward to seeing what it brings.