Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan Markle shocked the world with their announcement to “step back” from their royal duties.
What We Know:
- The news that the couple would be stepping back from their roles as senior members of the British royal family struck on Wednesday and took the internet by storm.
- While the pinned letter clarified that the two plan to continue supporting their Queen, the couple has plans to divide their time between the United Kingdom and North America.
- “We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen,” the statement read.
View this post on Instagram
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA
- A statement was also released by Buckingham Palace. “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage,” the palace said. “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
- The couple revealed some of the pressures they’ve faced and family division. They have also been battling the British tabloids. Shortly after giving birth to their baby boy, the pair sued The Mail on Sunday’s parent company, Associated Newspapers.
- Prince Harry says that he will not allow his wife to fall victim to the power of the paparazzi like his mother, Princess Diana, who died in a car accident in 1997 while trying to escape paparazzi in Paris.
- They say that the geographical balance will enable them to raise their son to appreciate royal traditions, as well as giving them the space to focus on the next chapter.
The pair seem to be big on protecting the well being of their family. Hopefully, this move will support them in continuing to do so.