Uncertainty is an inherent part of becoming a parent, but there are some things no one should have to worry about. Case in point? Jodie Turner-Smith says she and Joshua Jackson don’t intend to raise their kids in the United States, and the reason why is heartbreaking.
What We Know:
- The British-born Queen & Slim star shared that she and rumored husband are considering a move to somewhere like Canada, where bigotry and violence don’t seem to be such growing concerns.
- In an interview with the Sunday Times published over the weekend, Turner-Smith said “The racial dynamics over here are fraught. White supremacy is overt. It’s the reason I don’t want to raise my kids here. She then alluded to the active shooter epidemic saying, “I don’t want my kids to grow up doing active shooter drills at school.”
- When asked where they’re considering as an alternative, Turner-Smith quickly dismissed her native UK saying, “England has gone off the rails, so I was thinking maybe Canada.”
- At the start of the year, the sweethearts made their first major appearance as a couple at W Magazine’s pre-Golden Globes party at the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood, California.
- In December, it was reported that Turner-Smith and Jackson tied the knot after picking up a marriage license in Beverly Hills in August.
- The daughter of Jamaican parents, Turner-Smith relocated to Maryland with her mother and siblings after her parents’ divorce. “So I was really excited when I came to America about meeting black people. But it was a huge culture shock, because I was rejected by the black community. They were like, ‘You talk like a white girl.’ People would call me an Oreo. All I wanted was acceptance.”
- Jodie said “There was this wave of people who were upset that I was possibly married to a white man. In America, interracial dating or marriage is not something that is as accepted. Certain people feel strongly against it, in both communities.”
- The couple’s marriage comes after Jackson previously romanced Diane Kruger for 10 years until 2016 and claimed at the time the pair wouldn’t marry because he isn’t religious.
Wherever these two land, this much is sure: They’re going to make sweet parents.