Rihanna will receive a distinguished award at the 51st NAACP Image Awards.
What We Know:
- Firstly, the pop icon, 31, will receive this year’s NAACP President’s Award. The honor is bestowed “in recognition of special achievement and distinguished Public Service”.
- Furthermore, NAACP President Derrick Johnson said in a statement, “Rihanna has not only enjoyed a groundbreaking career as an artist and musician but has also distinguished herself as a stellar public servant.” Importantly, the NAACP President will present the award to Rihanna.
- Johnson added, “From her business achievements through Fenty to her tremendous record as an activist and philanthropist, Rihanna epitomizes the type of character, grace, and devotion to justice that we seek to highlight in our President’s Award.”
- Moreover, Rihanna has shown engagement in global development through her activism and philanthropic work. In 2012, Rihanna founded the Clara Lionel Foundation in honor of her grandparents, Clara and Lionel Braithwaite. Specifically, the foundation missioned helping underrepresented communities across the globe, with various programs in healthcare and education.
- Past notable recipients of the NAACP President’s Award include Lauryn Hill, Jay-Z, Spike Lee, and Muhammad Ali.
The 51st NAACP Image Award will air live on BET on 02/22/2020 at 8 PM Eastern Time.