Tyler Perry’s nephew is dead at 26 after committing suicide in prison.
What We Know:
- Perry’s nephew, Gavin Porter, was found dead in his jail cell at the Union Parish Detention Center in Farmerville, Louisiana on Tuesday.
- Porter was sentenced to 20 years in prison after being convicted of manslaughter for shooting and killing his father, Gary Wayne Porter, in their home back in 2016. He was imprisoned after pleading guilty in April 2017.
- Porter had been placed in solitary confinement after getting into a fight with another inmate over the weekend.
- He was alive two hours earlier when guards checked on him but when guards came back to Porter’s cell at 8 p.m. later that night, they discovered him dead hanging by a bedsheet.
- Porter’s body was then transferred to Little Rock, AK for two autopsies, where his death has been officially ruled a suicide.
- “I spoke with Dr. Michael Baden today after he finished the autopsy on my nephew. I was relieved to hear that he is 98% sure that there was no foul play in his death,” Perry said.
Comments from Perry and his family were made regarding their relief to hear the answers they got following Porter’s death.