Thomas Stemen, 51, was caught on camera assaulting a woman in the buttocks with a syringe while she was grocery shopping on Feb.18.
What We Know:
- The incident took place near the cart area of a Churchton, Maryland grocery store. The video shows Stemen walking next to the woman and appears to accidentally bump her but he ends up stabbing the woman with an object. The victim, Katie Peters immediately reacted to the pain and begins to yell at Stemen. She described the pain of the stabbing as similar to a cigarette burn. “He turned to me and said, ‘I know, it feels like a bee sting, doesn’t it?’” Peters said.
- It is very unclear to identify whether Peters and Stemen knew each other but according to Peters she “felt safer with Stemen behind bars”
- Stemen was arrested on Tuesday after the video went viral and charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment. A judge ordered he be held without bail.
- “This investigation is extremely active additional charges may be applicable,” said police officer via Twitter.
- At the time of his arrest, he was carrying at least two syringes and after additional testing, it was confirmed that the syringes had semen in it. However, it’s unclear if the semen was his or if it was carrying any potential illnesses. Police stated they received an anonymous tip on Tuesday which named Stemen as the attacker. Investigators also found the syringe on the driver’s side of his car.
According to jail records, Stemen is being held in the Jennifer Road Detention Center.
The incident video:
As additional tests and investigations are pending, the victim is taking preventative measures and remains cautious. Police believe there may be more victims and want people to come forward to report their encounters.