Billy Porter is playing the fairy godmother in the remake of Cinderella, and he said he’s soaking the whole experience in, according to The Grio.
What We Know:
- Porter is the first man to play the role and called the remake “a classic fairytale for a new generation”. He said the fairy godmother character is genderless to him so that’s how he will portray it.
- Porter said, “It hit me when I was on the set last week, how profound it is that I am playing the Fairy Godmother, they call it the Fab G”.
- He believes that the new generation is ready for the new godmother to Cinderella and believes that the older generation is slowing the process (change) down.
- “Pop singer Camila Cabello is set to play Cinderella in the Sony adaptation, directed by Kay Cannon and produced by James Corden. Missy Elliott will play the Town Crier and Minnie Driver was selected to portray Queen Beatrice. Pierce Brosnan is playing Prince Charming’s father, the king, and British actor Nicholas Galitzine will play Prince Robert. Idina Menzel was chosen for Evelyn, Cinderella’s evil stepmother,” advised The Grio.
- If anyone can breath new life into the old fairy godmother, It’s Porter. He’s already cemented himself as gender-bending fashionista and a history-making actor.
- Aside from being uber-talented, Porter also expresses gender fluidity in statement-making gowns on almost every red carpet he steps onto.
- Last year, Porter also became the first openly gay black male to win an Emmy for a leading role.
The remake of Cinderella hits theaters February 2021.