Megan Thee Stallion stated certain executives at her record label have a history for using “bullying and strong-armed tactics,” but she’s taking a stand by taking them to court and she’s already won a major battle.
What We Know:
- Megan Thee Stallion went on the offensive by filing suit Monday against 1501 Certified Entertainment and its label head, Carl Crawford. She became noticeably upset over reflecting upon the contract she signed with the label back when she was 20 years old. This same contract is now blocking her from releasing new music only over the mere fact she wishes to renegotiate.
- It wasn’t until she started getting managed by Jay-Z‘s Roc Nation, where they helped to point out a lot of things in her contract with them she simply wasn’t aware of. Long story short, Megan says everything was all good and dandy until one day she approached the label and asked to renegotiate and that is when things took a “left turn”.
Megan Thee Stallion says that 1501 isn’t letting her drop new music due to her requesting to renegotiate her contract. pic.twitter.com/4Uz5vXwmD0
— Ronald Isley (@yoyotrav) March 1, 2020
- Moreover, a district judge in Harris County Texas granted Megan a temporary restraining order which prevents her label from blocking the music she plans to drop on Friday. Her attorney, Richard Busch, also said that the restraining order she has also prevents the label from attacking or abusing her on social media, according to Billboard.
- In the suit, she laid out a list of the most outrageous terms of her contract, at least in her eyes. A prime example is the fact that the deal calls for 1501 Certified to get 60% of her recording income while the remaining 40% goes to her, but she has to use her share to pay engineers, mixers, and featured artists who work on the songs.
- Another notable claim Megan made was that Crawford has been using his ties with Rap-a-Lot Records founder, J. Prince, to intimidate people in the industry. It states Crawford pressured a producer to hand over beats by saying Prince would “be pissed”. Megan claims, “Prince is notorious in the industry for strong-armed intimidation tactics, and the comment was taken as a physical threat of harm.”
Megan is looking for at least $1 million in damages against Crawford and the label in the suit. Additionally a hearing is scheduled for March 13 to decide whether to end or extend the temporary restraining order. Her lawyer went onto say, “We are very happy the court granted our TRO Application, and thrilled that the world should be able to now hear Megan’s new music on March 6.”