Former Democratic presidential candidates, Cory Booker and Kamala Harris will be endorsing Joe Biden for president.
What We Know:
- Booker took to Twitter to announce that he is backing Biden for the 2020 presidential election. “The answer to hatred & division is to reignite our spirit of common purpose. Joe Biden won’t only win — he’ll show there’s more that unites us than divides us,” he wrote.
The answer to hatred & division is to reignite our spirit of common purpose.@JoeBiden won’t only win – he’ll
show there’s more that unites us than divides us.
He’ll restore honor to the Oval Office and tackle our most pressing challenges.
That’s why I’m proud to endorse Joe. pic.twitter.com/RcsnZs5mfQ
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) March 9, 2020
- Booker’s announcement came after Harris endorsed Biden on Sunday.
- The selection by Sen. Harris, who was one of three black candidates seeking to challenge President Donald Trump, further consolidates the Democratic establishment’s move to close circles around Biden after his Super Tuesday success. Her endorsement comes before the next round of primaries, with six states voting Tuesday, including Michigan.
- “When I started my run for president, I said America needs a president who reflects the decency and dignity of the American people; a president who speaks the truth; and a president who fights for those whose voices are too often overlooked or ignored,” Harris said in a statement. “I still believe that to this day. That is why I am proud to announce I am endorsing my friend, Vice President Joe Biden, for President of the United States.”
.@JoeBiden has served our country with dignity and we need him now more than ever. I will do everything in my power to help elect him the next President of the United States. pic.twitter.com/DbB2fGWpaa
— Kamala Harris (@KamalaHarris) March 8, 2020
- “I believe in Joe. I really believe in him and I have known him for a long time. One of the things we need right now is we need a leader who really does care about the people and who can, therefore, unify the people,” she said.
Harris and Booker join Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn), former South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg, former Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke, ex-New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, and former Maryland Congressman John Delaney in endorsing Biden.