What We Know:
- Obama said, “We’re just trying to keep the routine going, but we’ve also got a little bit of Netflix and chilling happening,” she said, noting that daughters Malia and Sasha were both home from school.
- Ellen offered Obama condolences to her children returning home after she celebrated having an empty nest. Obama admitted she boasted too soon.
- Some point in the video Ellen’s wife Portia de Rossi chimed in and said hello to the former First Lady. The talk show host added, “I’m filming! This is my third career as a videographer!”
- Obama also offered her sympathy to those who are affected by the economic strain of the pandemic. She also admitted a sense of relief because during this time it has caused her life to slow down and it allows those around her to hit the reset button. She said, “This is like no other time in history…You know there is some good and bad that goes with it.”
- Obama’s thought then shifted to how the world will be impacted after the health crisis is over. “I feel for all the folks that are gonna suffer because of what’s going to happen to the economy, and we have to be mindful about what we’re gonna do to support those folks once this quarantine is over…On the positive side, I know for us, it’s forced us to continue to sit down with each other, have real conversations. Really ask questions and figure out how to keep ourselves occupied without just TV or computers.”
The call ended with the comedian and tv host challenging the Former First Lady to a planking contest to raise money for charity. Obama said jokingly, “we’ll cross that bridge when you feel like you’re in shape”.