Singer and social media celebrity Iyanna “Yaya” Mayweather, the daughter of boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr., was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after stabbing a woman in an argument over NBA YoungBoy, according to reports.
What We Know:
- Yaya, 19, was taken to a jail in Harris County, Texas, around 1:30 a.m. after a 25-year-old woman was stabbed and hospitalized, advised Capt. Jonathan Zitzmann of the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office. The woman suffered non-life-threatening injuries and underwent surgery, he said.
- There was apparently an altercation between Yaya, her former partner 20-year-old rapper NBA YoungBoy, and the musician’s current fiancée Lapattra Lashai Jacobs.
- Jacob’s allegedly told Yaya to leave the home but the argument moved its way into the kitchen where Yaya came into possession of two knives. According to sources, Yaya charged at Jacobs with one of the knives. Jacobs told police that she didn’t feel the first stab wound but Yaya stabbed her once more with the second knife.
- Zitzmann said police arrived at the scene after emergency medical staff responded to a 911 call shortly before 7 p.m. The medical staff that helped the injured woman contacted police and alerted them to the possible altercation.
- NBA Youngboy was seen being put in handcuffs but that was most likely a precautionary measure and Yaya told officials that she was taunted into the fight. She claimed Jacobs pulled her hair outside before running into the kitchen and the knife was a self defense measure.
- Fans shared GIFs on Twitter along with captions that spoke about how Yaya showed exactly what one shouldn’t do if their man was caught cheating. One of them also wrote “Don’t be Yaya” while speaking of her predicament. Another Twitter user also said the same and wrote, “Ladies, the [expletive] that’s currently your favorite at the moment probably won’t be your favorite in a couple of years … hell, maybe even a couple of months. Don’t be like Yaya.”
Yaya was released from jail on a $30,000 bond. She appeared in court on Monday.