The Lifetime original movie The Clark Sisters: First Ladies of Gospel premiered on Saturday night, hitting an astounding viewership, netting at 2.7 million total viewers in L+SD. This marks the highest-rated original movie for Lifetime since 2016.
What We Know:
- The TV movie, which included performances by Aunjanue Ellis, Angela Birchett, Sheléa Frazier, and Raven Goodwin, was the strongest original movie for television in 2020 across key demos including both broadcast and cable.
- The Clark Sisters: The First Ladies of Gospel recounts the story of the highest-selling female gospel group in history and their trailblazing mother, Mattie Moss Clark. Credited with bringing gospel music to the mainstream, the five Clark sisters overcame humble beginnings in Detroit, enduring abuse, loss, rejection, betrayal and sibling rivalries to achieve international fame as icons of the gospel music industry.
- This riveting biopic was the best ad-supported cable original movie since 2018 in key demos. With the biopic, Lifetime has the boasting rights of having the top three original movies on ad-supported cable in 2020 in key demos, alongside with Stolen By My Mother: The Kamiyah Mobley Story and Chris Watts: Confessions of a Killer.
- In the past, viewers have heavily criticized Lifetime’s past biopics.
Lifetime will NEVER be forgiven for that Aaliyah Movie. Anything they make going forward starts at 0 & builds up. #MichaelJacksonMovie pic.twitter.com/3c8OPUJFAZ
— Maxamillion (@RegalBasil) May 30, 2017
- Though the biopic for rap supergroup Salt-N-Pepa has yet to hit the air, fans expressed disappointment over the casting decisions for the film once promotional photos were released.
WTH! They look NOTHING like them at all. 😳 Colorism at its finest.
‘Salt-N-Pepa’: Lifetime Sets Cast For Biopic Limited Series On Iconic Group https://t.co/cd8wLgT9GF
— Gimme Snackies (@awalkinthelight) November 7, 2019
- Luckily, it seemed liek Lifetime got one right with this one. Viewers loved The Clark Sisters: First Ladies of Gospel.
The Clark Sisters: First Ladies of Gospel was good. The actors and actresses did a great job. Kudos to everybody involved in this movie. 👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿 #TheClarkSisters
— Meka 🙂 (@iheartmylife82) April 12, 2020
#TheClarkSisters movie on @lifetimetv was amazing! I needed that. I laughed and I cried.. amazing.. I hope hope they all made pease with there sister that left the group ❤️ }#Family1st #lifetime
— KishaNicole_23 (@KWatersGGI) April 12, 2020
Lifetime plans encore showings of the film throughout the week.