According to The Miami-Dade Police Department, Adrian Cosby, and George Walton, both 19-years-old, were arrested on Saturday and charged with second-degree murder of Andrea Camps Lacayo and attempted robbery with a deadly weapon.
What We Know:
- Lacayo, who attended the TERRA Environmental Research Institute in Miami, died last Tuesday after accompanying her boyfriend Sergio Berben to the meeting where he was reportedly selling Walton three pairs of sneakers.
- According to the police report, the group met at an abandoned house in Homestead, Florida to arrange the sale of the sneakers. Walton said that he asked Berben if he could try the shoes on but Berben said that he wanted to see the money first.
- Cosby then approached the victims’ car on the driver’s side and shot both Berben and Lacayo who was in the passenger seat. Authorities said, Berben then sped off to seek medical attention. The two were transported to South Medical Center where Lacayo was pronounced dead.
- TERRA tweeted, “the loss is immeasurable but so is the love left behind…Our TERRA Family is mourning the loss of Andrea Camps, a member of the Class of 2020.”
- According to the Miami Herald, the shoes were Adidas Yeezy sneakers that were being sold for $935. After the shooting, both men fled the scene and remained at a residence until their arrest on Saturday.
- Police said that Walton told them that his only intention was to steal the sneakers once he tried them on. According to CNN, they could not determine if Cosby and Walton have lawyers.
Friends of Lacayo, who was also captain of the school’s dance team, mourned her loss. Her friend, Vivyanna Fernandez, told CNN affiliate WSVN, “she would always light up the room…She was beautiful. She was so bright. She was so soulful and so encouraging, so helpful, so friendly.”