YouTube is hosting a virtual graduation ceremony with guest stars such as The Obamas, Lady Gaga, and many more.
What We Know:
- The special called “Dear Class of 2020” will feature celebrities including BTS, and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
- The festival-like lineup will feature talks on traditional graduation-day themes mixed with musical performances.
- Former President Barak Obama and Michelle Obama will be headlining the special and giving the commencement address.
- YouTube is partnering with Michelle Obama’s Reach High Initiatives, Born This Way Foundation, Malala Fund, NBC’s Today, and Ideas United to showcase student stories and feature graduates around the world. The Reach Higher Initiative will host a full hour of content to start the celebration.
- Susanne Daniels, global head of Content for YouTube stated “Graduation is tradition that students and families look forward to and with the current state of the world, YouTube is lending some inspiration in the form of a virtual commencement”.
- “We hope bringing together noteworthy, influential speakers along with performances from some of their favorite artists will provide encouragment for the students who have worked so hard to get here”.
- “Dear Class of 2020” will also include special appearances by Alica Keys, Kelly Rowland, Kerry Washington, Chloe x Halle, Zendaya and YouTube creators Jackie Aina, AsapSCIENCE, Dude Perfect, Mr.Kate, and The Try Guys.
- The multihour celebration premiers Saturday June 6th, on the YouTube Originals channel and YouTube Learn@Home site.
Separately, Barack Obama will be participating in “Show Me Your Walk, HBCU Edition” a two hour live streaming event for historically Black Colleges and Universities on May 16th at 2pm.