A Georgia homeowner linked to the Ahmaud Arbery case said that his residence, which was under construction, was never burglarized.
What We Know:
- 50-year-old Larry English’s current home is in Douglas, Georgia, but he was having a waterfront built in Brunswick about 90 miles away. That new residence is one of the key elements in the Arbery case.
- Arbery was shot nearby on February 23 after two men – father and son Gregory and Travis McMichael – confronted him. The elder McMichael allegedly told cops that they suspected Arbery in a series of recent burglaries. No charges were forthcoming until recently publicized video apparently showed that the duo instigated the confrontation with Arbery.
“I’ve never had a police report, or anything stolen from my property, or any kind of robbery” -English
- 911 audio from before the shooting shows a caller reporting a black man in a white T-shirt at a house under construction.
- The operator asked if the subject was breaking into it. “No, it’s all open, it’s under construction,” he said. “And he is running right now. There he goes right now.”
- The exchange would seem to reference English’s home. He is badly ill, according to The Post. But now, he says it is not likely his family will move into the home, due to death threats. He has also voiced condolences for Arbery’s mother.
- Arbery’s family said he was jogging before the fatal confrontation. Travis McMichael is charged as the actual shooter, while the father is being prosecuted as a party to the crime.
- “We are indeed reviewing additional video footage and photographs as part of the active case,” the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said in a statement to The Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It is important to note that this footage was reviewed at the beginning of the GBI investigation and before the arrests of Gregory and Travis McMichael.”
The property was under construction; #Ahmaud remained for less than 3 minutes; others who lived near stopped by too.
— Lee Merritt (@MerrittForTexas) May 10, 2020
- Members within the conservative movement have been sharing videos of the late Arbery visiting English’s residence under construction and throwing out the narrative that he could have been trying to steal something or case the place to come back later.
- It is a shame that individuals are trying to find a way to make Arbery guilty in some way, shape, or fashion when he was the true victim of vigilantes. The McMichael’s couldn’t wait for the police to show up after being called about a possible burglary suspect?
Here’s the thing people don’t get. Even IF Arbery was a robber, the McMichael’s are still going to be charged and tried for murder. You call the police. You do not Wild West it in the middle of the street and start shooting at people. This is America!