Reche Caldwell played six seasons in the NFL for the San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots, and Washington Redskins. According to USA Today, police have reported that the incident “does not appear to be a random act”.
What We Know:
- Caldwell was reportedly getting ready to take his girlfriend on a date when he went back inside the house to grab a jacket. His girlfriend stated he was “ambushed” by a “couple of people” who jumped out of the bushes in a robbery attempt.
- The former University of Florida standout was found in the yard of his Tampa home with gunshot wounds to his leg and chest. “Officers immediately began providing life saving measures,” police said. He was then transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead.
- Tampa police reported a fatal shooting just before 11 p.m. Saturday night but did not report the victim’s identity.
- Caldwell’s mother, Deborah Caldwell, confirmed her son’s death stating she believed “he was set up”.
- Social media accounts of the Patriots, Chargers, Redskins, and University of Florida football program have since posted tributes to Caldwell, expressing their deep sympathy for his family and friends.
This is a developing story as police are in the early stages of the investigation.