K-pop group BTS donated $1 million to Black Lives Matter as a way to back up their statement posted on Twitter supporting the movement in standing against racial discrimination.
What We Know:
- The K-pop boy band BTS showed their support for the Black Lives Matter movement through a Twitter post on June 4th saying that they “stand against racial discrimination” and “condemn violence”.
우리는 인종차별에 반대합니다.
우리는 폭력에 반대합니다.
나, 당신, 우리 모두는 존중받을 권리가 있습니다. 함께 하겠습니다.
We stand against racial discrimination.
We condemn violence.
You, I and we all have the right to be respected. We will stand together.#BlackLivesMatter
— 방탄소년단 (@BTS_twt) June 4, 2020
- To justify their statement, BTS and Big Hit Entertainment donated $1 million to Black Lives Matter.
- Black Lives Matter managing director Kailee Scales spoke about the group’s generosity and how moving it was in an interview with Variety. “Black people all over the world are in pain at this moment from the trauma of centuries of oppression,” she said. “We are moved by the generosity of BTS and allies all over the world who stand in solidarity in the fight for Black lives.”
- Recent Black Lives Matter protests have surfaced after the death of George Floyd, who was killed by a white Minnesota cop, who strangled Floyd by pressing his knee on Floyd’s neck for several minutes.
- Other celebrities have also shown their support for the movement like Warner Music and its owner, Len Blavatnik, and Sony Music, pledging $100 million each to social justice causes.
- Michael Jordan and the Jordan Brand revealed Friday that they have pledged to donate $100 million to Black Lives Matter causes over the next decade in the concluding statement of a Twitter post.
- “Today, we are announcing that Michael Jordan and Jordan Brand will be donating $100 million over the next 10 years to organizations dedicated to ensuring racial equality, social justice and greater access to education.”
Joint Statement from Michael Jordan & Jordan Brand regarding $100m donation. pic.twitter.com/yYXWh5eBZl
— Estee Portnoy (@esteep) June 5, 2020
- Actress Jennifer Aniston also donated around $1 million to racial justice organizations.
BTS isn’t known for making statements regarding politics or social justice issues, but it all changed with their donation and statement on Twitter.