Anti-abortion onesies are being sold for $18 to support the anti-abortion movement. It has received backlash due to the identical “Lives Matter” style as the “Black Lives Matter” movement logo.
What We Know:
- The “limited edition” anti-abortion onesies are still available for purchase to highlight the President’s support for the movement.
- “Baby Lives Matter” is similar in script and style as the “Black Lives Matter” logo and has caused a backlash in the Twitter community.
If you thought the Trump Campaign couldn't get any more racist, today they've begun trying to raise money off of "Black Lives Matters" by delegitimizing it and selling "Baby Lives Matter" onesies with the same font and style.
— Heidi Krassenstein (@HKrassenstein) June 11, 2020
Yeah “Baby lives matter” but not the ones in our border cages, right? https://t.co/2nx6WWmv0D
— Cole (@Coleman_503) June 12, 2020
- The negative feedback comes due to the recent death of George Floyd due to police brutality.
- Protests have been ongoing for almost a month in response to the murders of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd by police hands and as a way to stand up against systemic racism in the world.
- The campaign’s spokesperson has declined to comment on the sale of the onesies.
- The anti-abortion onesies were offered in conjunction with the March for Life which Donald Trump is the first U.S. President in history to publicly support against abortion rights.
- Along with negative feedback, some members of the community have shown their support for the cause and the product.
— ConservativeVue (@ConservativeVue) June 12, 2020
All Lives Matter.
Including unborn babies.
Including the sick.
Including the old.
Including the disabled.
Including the depressed.
— Elliot Page (@ElliotIkilei) June 14, 2020
- Media outlet ‘Intelligencer’ said the following:
“It should come as no surprise that Donald Trump’s reelection campaign saw an opportunity to disrespect (while appropriating) BLM, signal its continued fidelity to the anti-abortion cause, and make a few bucks in the process.”
- The community feels outraged for the “disrespect” on the Black Lives Matter movement during these difficult times and lack of support from President Trump.
- The President has been widely criticized during this time due to his negative remarks on peaceful protesters as well as encouraging the National Guard to use violence if necessary against the people.
The protests against police brutality have been ongoing all over the world such as New Zealand, United Kingdon, and many more.