Top ranked high school prospect Mikey Williams is making waves across the sports world, as rumors surfaced about the possibility that Williams might forgo playing for a Power-5 basketball program, but instead an Historical Black College and University .
What We Know:
- Mikey Williams is a current high school basketball player who is ranked 3rd in his 2023 recruiting class, according to ESPN. Williams started an uproar on twitter when he suggested that, “Going to an HBCU wouldn’t be too bad…”
View this post on Instagram
This has been a thought for years..this didn’t just recently pop up in my head..What a lot of coaches don’t understand is that we don’t need them..WE CONTROL OUR OWN NARRATIVE!! I’m very thankful that God blessed me to be in the position to do that..We write our own stories..we determine what the next page in life is going to be..why does it always have to be the big universities? Why does it always have to be the big names? Have you ever thought about helping your own people out?? WE ARE THE REASON THAT THESE SCHOOLS HAVE SUCH BIG NAMES AND SUCH GOOD HISTORY..But in the end what do we get out of it?? What a lot of Top level athletes don’t understand is..If you’re a pro..than you’re a pro no matter what college you go to..even if you don’t go to college..if you’re a killer..YOU ARE GOING TO KILL ANYWHERE. Not enough people speak on things like this and I’ve been meaning to do so and put some word out but I figured this would be the perfect time to do it..Im going to keep it short and simple..I just wanted to let everybody know that I AM RIDING FOR MY PEOPLE! IM 10 TOES BEHIND THE BLACK COMMUNITY!! Any way I can help or make a change in the black community best believe I am going to do that. Only God knows what the future holds..But when that time does come that I have to narrow my schools down to whatever number it is…there WILL be multiple HBCU’s on that list! And they won’t just be there for show.
- The tweet immediately went viral as many institutions began reaching out to the young prospect.
- D-1 HBCU programs such as North Carolina Central University,Hampton, Southern, Grambling State, Howard, Texas Southern, Norfolk State, Tennessee State and Alabama State all offered the young man scholarships following the post.
- Mikey seems to have the approval of his parents as well as it seems that his mother played softball for the well known HBCU, Hampton University.
- At a very young age Mikey recognizes how his actions can indeed shake up the landscape of college athletics.
Playing for an HBCU would mean a lot to Mikey Williams
(via @TaylorRooks) pic.twitter.com/SAnWUUIqTc
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) June 8, 2020
There is no doubt that although Mikey Williams has a long road ahead of him, he could potentially change the landscape of HBCU basketball. Mikey could not only bring HBCUs much needed media coverage, but also set a path for future top prospects to indulge in the HBCU experience. Mikey could indeed be the “chosen one” who brings HBCU basketball to heights never seen before.