A viral video has spread online over the weekend showing a middle-aged man defying Walmart’s mask policy in Florida. He enters the store without a face covering, barges past a security guard, pushes the staff member and then falls to the ground.
What We Know:
- The man gets up after falling down and continues to walk into the store as the security guard wearing a face mask attempts to block him from shopping without touching him. One Walmart worker said “Sir, I need you out.” The man ignores the representative and again continues into store.
- “You gotta wear a mask bro,” said the person who captured the incident on video, which was posted on Twitter over the weekend.
- The clip, which has been viewed nearly 8 million times now, shows the gray-haired man scuffling with an employee at the Orlando superstore Saturday, the same day face masks became mandatory in the county, WDBO-FM reported.
- Ultimately, the man angrily agrees to leave, the clip shows, but not before the worker tells him that he was “spitting all over the f—ing place”.
- The company’s decision was made using the guidance of state and local public health officials, the CDC, plus Walmart’s own chief medical officer. The company’s ‘COVID-19 Emergency Leave Policy’ will continue until June 30, 2020.
- This footage is one of a series of mask-related altercations captured on video during the pandemic, this includes an incident in May in a New York grocery store, in which shoppers are seen vilifying another customer for not wearing a mask.
Florida has seen a recent spike in coronavirus cases, even prompting New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to consider imposing a two-week quarantine on people visiting from the Sunshine State.