It was reported that a noose was found in Bubba Wallace’s garage on Sunday.
What We Know:
- Bubba Wallace is the only black driver in NASCAR’s top circuit. Over the recent weeks, Wallace has been very outspoken on protesters and the Black lives matter movement. Wallace’s Also called for NASCAR to ban the confederate flag, which they did on June 10.
- Sunday morning at the first race after the ban, a plane flew over Talladega dragging a Confederate flag and a banner that said: “defund NASCAR.” Per the Associated Press, the Sons of Confederate Veterans organization has claimed responsibility for the plane.
- It was stated that a noose was found in Wallace’s garage around 3 pm. No fans were reported to be in the stadium due to weather conditions, meaning only NASCAR racers or personnel could have committed the act.
- NASCAR released a statement expressing their upset towards the findings in Wallace’s garage. “We are angry and outraged, and cannot state strongly enough how seriously we take this heinous act,” NASCAR expressed. “We have launched an immediate investigation, and will do everything we can to identify the person(s) responsible and eliminate them from the sport.”
- Wallace also released a statement Sunday night on Twitter.
— Bubba Wallace (@BubbaWallace) June 22, 2020
- Many showed their support for Wallace including LA Lakers LeBron James,
Sickening! @BubbaWallace my brother! Know you don’t stand alone! I’m right here with you as well as every other athlete. I just want to continue to say how proud I am of you for continuing to take a stand for change here in America and sports! @NASCAR I salute you as well! 🙏🏾✊🏾👑 https://t.co/1TwkjVHai5
— LeBron James (@KingJames) June 22, 2020
NASCAR says that the incident will not divide them, but will strengthen their resolve to make the sport open and welcoming to all.