Bethune-Cookman University is the latest school to add its name to the list of schools departing the MEAC after the 2020 season.
What We Know:
- Bethune-Cookman announced last Thursday that they will be joining the SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference) starting in 2021.
- The announcement comes weeks after current MEAC (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) counterpart FAMU announced they would also be joining the SWAC starting in 2021.
- Bethune-Cookman’s move to the SWAC brings more misery for the MEAC as they will now be down to 6 athletic programs that sponsor football programs.
View this post on Instagram
- The MEAC has now lost a total of 5 programs since 2017 which includes Savannah State, Hampton University, North Carolina A&T, Florida A&M, and now Bethune-Cookman.
- The future of the MEAC conference still remains unclear, but MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas is hopeful that the conference can weather the storm.
Although the MEAC is currently in a state of limbo, there is great optimism that the conference will bounce back and remain a Division-I conference.