A White couple in Michigan was arrested Thursday after video showed the woman pointing a gun at a Black mother and her daughters in a restaurant parking lot. During a news conference, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard, said the couple was in fact charged with felonious assault.
What We Know:
- The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office identified the White couple as Jillian Wuestenberg, 32, and Eric Wuestenberg, 42, The Associated Press reported.
- The video, which has gone completely viral, shows the White woman shouting “Get the f*** back” while pointing her gun at the woman filming the incident, who urges others to call the police. It’s unclear what sparked the confrontation outside a Chipotle in Orion Township, but officials said they are investigating.
- The mother, Takelia Hill, told The Detroit News her daughter was bumped by the white woman. The video doesn’t show how the incident started, but Hill said her daughter claimed the woman became combative when she asked for an apology.
- The sheriff said deputies arrived at the scene, handcuffed Jillian Wuestenberg and seized weapons from the couple. Bouchard said the deputies were “presented with two very different stories from two different groups,” with both sides claiming they felt “extremely threatened”.
- Bouchard played the two videos along with six different 911 calls, CBS Detroit reported, and said the mother and her two daughters weren’t armed.
- Eric Wuestenberg was fired from his job at Oakland University on Thursday. “We have seen the video and we deem his behavior unacceptable. The employee has been notified that his employment has been terminated by the university,” the school said in a statement.
In his news conference, Bouchard reflected on tense times nationwide. “We see situations where the tension is very quick,” he said. “People are on edge and there’s a quick acceleration to anger and sometimes physical violence. … My plea is please let us all try to be that voice of calm in the storm and remember each one of us is a human being that deserves respect.”