Former “Glee” star Naya Rivera went missing after renting a pontoon boat with her son at the Lake Piru reservoir Wednesday.
What We Know:
- Naya Rivera, a former actress who played cheerleader Santana Lopez on the TV series “Glee,” rented a boat for her and her son, it was a three-hour rental. After three hours of departing the dock, workers responsible for boat rentals noticed the boat had not been returned and went to look for Rivera, only to discovered Rivera’s boat drifting with her son asleep in his life vest.
- According to Sheriff’s Capt. Eric Buschow, both Rivera and her son were seen going out on the lake together, and the son said he and his mother were swimming, but his mom didn’t get back on the boat. While the child had on a life vest, an adult life vest was found on the boat, along with her identification.
- The Ventura County Sheriff’s office launched a boat and helicopter search Wednesday afternoon, which was suspended by nighttime and will continue early Thursday.
- “We’re going on the belief that she did go in the water and we have not been able to locate her,” Buschow said during a news conference. “So this may well be a case of drowning.”
- Rivera’s four-year-old son is from her marriage with actor Ryan Dorsey, in which the couple finalized their divorce in June 2018; they were married for nearly four years. In her 2016 memoir, Rivera called her son her “[her] greatest success, and [she] will never do any better than him.” Rivera was also engaged to Big Sean in 2013, but the relationship ended a year later.
- Rivera dated her costar from “Glee,” Mark Salling, who killed himself in 2018 after pleading guilty to child pornography charges.
A lot of celebrities tweeted their prayers for the missing star. Jackée Harry, who was in the television series “The Royal Family” with Rivera tweeted, “Prayers up for the lovely Naya Rivera.”