Mathew A. Cherry, the creator of the Oscar-winning short film Hair Love has got a new spinoff called Young Love that has been picked up by HBO Max.
What We Know:
- The new 2D animated series Young Love is set to have a 12-episode season. The series is going to expand on the world of the young family including millennial parents Stephen and Angela, their daughter Zuri, and her pet cat Rocky. It will explore how they they juggle careers, marriage, parenthood, social issues and multi-generational dynamics while striving to make a better life for themselves.
- Cherry will serve as the showrunner along with long time animation creative Carl Jones, who is known for The Boondocks and Black Dynamite.
- Blue Key Entertainment’s Monica A. Young, producer of Hair Love, will executive produce along with Lion Forge Animation’s David Steward II and Carl Reed.
- “I am beyond excited to continue telling the story of Stephen, Angela and Zuri and further explore the family dynamics of a young Black millennial family we established in our short film Hair Love as an animated series,” said Cherry. “Couldn’t ask for better partners in Sony Pictures Animation and HBO Max in helping us get Young Love out to the world.”
- Billy Wee, SVP Original Animation for HBO Max stated, “Hair Love struck a chord that is still resonating deeply with audiences of all ages. Matthew and Sony Animation’s creative voices are a welcomed addition to the HBO Max family and we can’t wait to bring this joyous story to the world.”
- Executive VP Creative at Sony Pictures Animation, Karen Rupert Toliver said, “It’s a privilege to continue our partnership with Matthew Cherry, who has a gift for tapping into meaningful stories that touch our hearts. I personally can’t wait to collectively laugh and cry with the Young family.”
Cherry recently secured a multi-year first-look deal with Warner Bros Television Group to develop comedies, dramas, and event series for WarnerMedia’s HBO Max, pay and basic cable networks, and broadcast.