Three men and two teens have been arrested for the murder of rapper Pop Smoke.
What We Know:
- The Los Angeles police reported that 5 individuals were taken into custody for the murder of Pop Smoke, whose real name is Bashar Jackson. Very few details have been released so far. There are not any confirmed names, nor was it clear where the arrests took place.
- According to The Associated Press, Capt. Jonathan Tippet, who oversees the Los Angeles Police Department’s elite Robbery-Homicide Division, said three men and two teenage boys likely went to the home because they knew Pop Smoke was there from social media posts. They stole items from the home, though Tippet said he could not divulge what was taken. The teens were 15 and 17-years-old.
- “We believe that it was a robbery. Initially we didn’t really have the evidence but then we discovered some other evidence that showed this was likely a home invasion gone bad,” Tippet told The Associated Press on Thursday.
- The five suspects were arrested Thursday morning as detectives served several search warrants in Los Angeles. All are believed to be members of a South Los Angeles gang.
- On Feb. 19, Jackson was shot and killed in a Los Angeles rental home in the 2000 block of Hercules Drive in the Hollywood Hills.
- After responding to a 911 call from the East Coast, Los Angeles police found Jackson with several gunshot wounds. The caller stated that several suspects had broken into the home, at least one of whom was armed with a handgun.
- Jackson was rushed to the hospital by officers to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he later died.
The home where the shooting took place was owned by The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star Teddi Mellencamp, daughter of musician John Mellencamp.