The CW hit series Batwoman cast Javicia Leslie as the new lead, set to step into the role of Batwoman for the upcoming second season.
What We Know:
- Leslie takes over leading the series from Ruby Rose, whose character, Kate Kane, wore the Batsuit before her. Rose shocked fans when she announced her departure from the series in May but has shown support to Leslie and praised her casting.
- Instead of recasting a new actress to play Kane, the CW decided to write Kane off the show entirely, and introduce a completely new character to play the role of Batwoman.
- Leslie will portray a new character on the show named Ryan Wilder. She is described as likable, messy, a little goofy, and untamed. She is an out lesbian, athletic, raw, passionate, fallible, and very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.
- Batwoman premiered last fall as the first superhero series in television history to feature an avowed LGBTQ character as the central character. Following Rose’s departure, the producers vowed to cast another LGBTQ actor in the role.
- “I am extremely proud to be the first Black actress to play the iconic role of Batwoman on television, and as a bisexual woman, I am honored to join this groundbreaking show, which has been such a trailblazer for the LGBTQ+ community,” Leslie said.
- Prior to joining “Batwoman,” Leslie starred on the CBS series “God Friended Me,” which aired for two seasons. She also starred in the BET series “The Family Business” and the film “Always a Bridesmaid.”
The show is scheduled to return in January 2021 on Sunday nights on The CW.