USA Gymnastics recent scandal after Larry Nassar who was charged with multiple sexual assaults in 2019 have another scandal with a former USA gymnastics coach, Terry Gray, 52. The former gymnastics coach has been suspended since October 2019 and finally arrested in Las Vegas with 14 counts of lewdness with a child under age 14.
What we know:
- Court records show that the alleged incidents occurred between 2007 and 2013. It was announced in October 2019 that Gray was suspended for two years. The gymnastics coach faced the judge on Monday and was set bail at $50,000 and imposed a condition of “no contact with any of the alleged victims or minors under 18.”
- Many have expressed the shocked that USA Gymnastics has had another scandal and the lack of of attention regarding sexual assaults.
Are you guys going to talk about the arrest of Terry Gray? Another pedophile allowed to have access to young gymnasts for YEARS and touch their bodies. You all still have a lot to answer for. Glad my child picked a different sport.
— Leesah (@ldainLA) July 13, 2020
- According to the New York Times, Clark County District Attorney Stephen B. Wolfson said that lewdness charge involves a victim “allegedly being touched with the intent of arousing of appealing or gratifying the victim or the offender.”
- USA Gymnastics has been the target of criticism and how sexual abuse has been kept in the dark in order to not face any legal repercussions that can affect the elite program. A latest Netflix documentary, Athlete A showed how the USA gymnastics approached the Larry Nassar case who has been charged and sentenced to 175 years for sexually assaulting hundreds of girl for years.
- According to a spokesperson for the elite gymnastics team has reported to CNN that “Gray was never an employee or contractor” for the team and that they are releasing police requested information to assist the investigation.
The Las Vegas police department are urging victims or anyone with more information on Terry Gray regarding sexual assault between the years of 2009-2015 to please come forward and contacted LVMPD sex crimes detectives to support their investigation against the gymnastics coach.