J. Cole released a brand new memoir titled The Audacity, on Monday which provides a considerably detailed look in his journey as a basketball player, rapper, husband, and father.
What We Know:
- In the final paragraph of the invigorating two chapter read, Cole shares for the first time that he is indeed a father. Both of his sons were born after the renowned triple-platinum release of his third studio album, Forest Hills Drive.
- Since the success of that Grammy-nominated album, Cole challenged himself on how to continue giving his life meaning. Much of that time is now focused on going back to his roots in hopes of refocusing his life.
- As he states in the memoir, “In that time I’ve been blessed with two sons, learned the delicate art of balance between parenthood and career, had the pleasure of working with a ton of talented artists as a featured rapper, spent 10 magical days recording a Dreamville album in Atlanta.” It was then he said he spend a good amount of time growing as an artist.
- Ever since Cole’s youth, he hoped to hoop with the pros by playing in the National Basketball Association (NBA). One high school coach described him as a “very confident young man”. Despite that athletic urge, his musical career and wish to become a “rap legend” ended up overcoming that previous dream.
“Unlike basketball, in rap, I was highly advanced beyond any of my peers,” he said in the first chapter. “Going from Fayetteville, NC, to New York was step one of my quiet but focused journey towards that goal.”
- Another large point the rapper discussed was based on his competitive nature, which has been both a blessing and curse throughout his musical career. He makes it known that the absolute pressure of trying to be the best lyricist has more often than not made him question whether he should continuing doing what he does.
This brief memoir was published just two days before the release of his two singles, “The Climb Back” and “Lion King on Ice,” from his upcoming sixth studio album, The Fall Off. Cole only recently teased the release of these singles on social media.