Chicago rapper Carlton Weekly, or more widely known as “FBG Duck,” was shot and killed near the Gold Coast area of the town on Tuesday afternoon. According to XXL Magazine, his rep confirmed that Duck was a fatal victim in the event, and three others were injured.
What We Know:
- The shooting quickly amassed graphic photos and videos on social media. Many of which have been taken down. One user showed the moment when first responders first put the rapper on board an ambulance, already unresponsive.
— IG 📸 @BuzZFeed_Mediaa (@ActionaJacksome) August 4, 2020
- Deputy Chief for the Chicago Police Department (CPD), Daniel O’Shea, explained in a press conference Tuesday that a 26-year-old Black male was killed. The celebrity, who was seemingly gunned down in broad daylight, ultimately met his end when four gunmen opened fire.
“At approximately 16:37 hours today, right here in the 100 block of East Oak Street, we had three individuals shopping,” O’Shea said of the shooting.
- The Chief gave a rundown of what exactly happened leading up to the event. Police reports state two vehicles carrying exactly two gunmen each opened fire on individuals on the sidewalk outside one of the stores in the area.
- O’Shea confirmed that the 26-year-old black male, Duck, was officially pronounced dead while being transported to Northwestern Hospital. Other black victims from the ages of 26 to 36 were taken to the same hospital. They remain with critical injuries, but no other fatalities have been reported as of late.
- Chicago police described there were multiple shots from all four shooters. They noted that this was most likely a premeditated shooting toward the individuals, given that the crime happened in a “well-policed” part of town. The criminals quickly fled the scene, and investigators are now in the process of collecting evidence from witnesses and video surveillance.
- Ja’Mal Green wrote on a tweet after the news hit, “Popular rapper FBG Duck has just been pronounced dead after being shot in the Gold Coast an hour ago. Prayers up for his family, bring justice to them after this senseless act.” The former Chicago mayoral candidate blasted the CPD over the handling of the crime scene.
The late rapper gained a prominent following in 2018 after dropping a hit single “Slide,” which quickly spread on hip-hop radio like wildfire and garnered millions of views and listens online. He dived into Chicago’s drill scene around 2013 thanks to his debut mixtape “Look At Me.” Prior to death, FBG Duck growing career gave us several more projects and a variety of singles.