David Lacey has been charged with assault after pointing a gun at a group of Black Lives Matter protestors on March 2nd, 2020, and saying, “I will shoot you, get off of my porch.”
- On Monday, Mr. Lacey was charged with three misdemeanor counts of assault with a firearm by the state attorney general. The charges, first reported by Politico, were filed in Superior Court of the State of California.
#BREAKING This morning Los Angeles District Attorney Jackie Lacey’s husband pulled a gun out on Black Lives Matter activists who protested his wife in front of their house. @BLMLA pic.twitter.com/wnCFMMvaWV
— Jasmyne Cannick (@Jasmyne) March 2, 2020
- In a statement from her campaign, Lacey claimed her husband was afraid, “My husband acted in fear for my safety after we were subjected to months of harassment that included a death threat no less than a week earlier.”
- Mr. Lacey formerly worked for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office as an investigative auditor before he retired in 2016.
- Dr. Melina Abdullah, a prominent member of Black Lives Matter Los Angeles, was named among the victims in the assault charges. She made a public statement on Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles, saying that Jackie Lacey has “refused to engage the public that elected her, and it’s her duty to do so.” Abdullah also issued a statement on her personal Instagram page.
View this post on Instagram
On March 2, 2020 #JackieLaceyMustGo’s husband pointed a gun inches from my chest and said “I will shoot you; I don’t care who you are.” Because I have so little faith in the criminal justice system, and because he’s the spouse of the County’s lead prosecutor, I didn’t think he’d ever be charged. Today, the Attorney General announced that David Lacey would be charged with 3 misdemeanor counts, one for each of us whose life he threatened. And we know if he weren’t the DA’s husband he’d have been immediately arrested and charged with felonies. In the midst of it all, Lacey has cast herself and her husband as victims, even though he pointed a very large loaded gun at protestors who they know to be peaceful. Not once has she or he apologized or shown any remorse or empathy. They’ve attempted to advance twisted legal arguments and utilize their PR machine to misrepresent the truth. But we see through it. This is just another reason that she must go…as if the blood of 618 people killed by police isn’t enough. She should step down now. #DropOutJackie
- Black Lives Matter protests have long followed D.A. Lacey. For almost three years, BLM has held weekly protests outside of her office, calling for her resignation, citing her failure to file charges against officers in more than 340 fatal police shootings.
Jackie Lacey is up for reelection this November. If she wins, it will be her third term. She faces former police officer and San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón.