It was rumored that Viola Davis purchased her childhood home for her 55th birthday. She quickly cleared up the misunderstanding.
What We Know:
- On Tuesday, Davis uploaded a picture on social media of a South Carolina house that she was born in to celebrate her 55th birthday. In her post, she seemed to indicate that she now “owns” the premises and the land around it.
- She stated at that time: “The above is the house where I was born August 11, 1965. It is the birthplace of my story. Today on my 55th year of life…I own it….all of it.”
- Viola has now explained that she didn’t mean to say she owned the house. She was stating that she “owns” her story. In the comments under her original post she wrote: “Uhh….contrary to websites…I do not ‘own’ the house, I ‘own’ my STORY!! Too abstract, I guess.”
- Davis also shared a Cherokee birth blessing in her post stating “May you live long enough to know why you were born”, which fits perfectly with the concept of her owning her story.
- Davis talked about the history of the property in a 2016 interview with People and Entertainment Weekly. The house was established on the location of the Singleton Plantation in St. Matthews, South Carolina, where her grandfather was a sharecropper. She stated the property was a one-room shack, with no bathroom or running water. Davis also mentioned that she didn’t live in the house for long but came back to visit over the years as she grew up.
Happy Birthday Viola Davis!