Singer Lauryn Hill has finally voiced her perspective regarding the claims her daughter made pertaining to her childhood being abusive. Selah Marley, 21, is the daughter of Hill and Rohan Marley. She is the granddaughter of the legendary Jamaican singer Bob Marley.
What We Know:
- Selah Marley was on Instagram Live for two hours talking about her relationship with her parents. She stated that she had long term effects from her interactions with them, which includes Hill and her father disciplining her when she was a child.
- “It’s crazy. I’m playing this trauma back in my head as I speak to you,” Marley said. “She’d be like, ‘Go get the belt.’ That’s how you know you’re in trouble. It’s like walking to your death”, she said in her Instagram live.
- She continued stating that her mom is an amazing woman, but did not do everything right. She referred to her physical punishments as “some slavery s**t”.
- Thursday, Hill responded to her daughter’s live with a lengthy post on her official Facebook page. “Uhhhh black people, what???,” Hill wrote. “Selah has every right to express herself, I encourage it, but she also got the discipline that black children get because we are held to a different standard.”
- Hill also stated that her daughter saw her discipline through the viewpoint of a child who had no place to reconcile her as a mom and public figure. She continued admitting that she was only guilty of disciplining her daughter out of anger.
- Hill is the mother of 6 children, and 5 of whom are fathered by Rohan Marley. She emphasized that she often speaks with her eldest daughter and they are working through their own issues.
- Marley is now criticizing the reports and bashings regarding her Instagram Live video. She stated that the situation is complex and asked for people not to bash her parents.
- She created a clarification video asking “Why do you all take the worst part of my video?” and “Like, really, really, really, can I ask you all a question, did you guys actually understand that I was coming from a place of healing?”
- Rohan Marley responded to his daughter video writing in the comments “I LOVE YOU MY LIONESS. The truth might be an offense but it’s not a sin ..I LOVE YOU I totally understand what you mean ..ABBA.”
Marley stated that her open dialogue regarding her childhood does not equate to her not loving her parents.