California rapper Indian Red Boy was shot and killed on Thursday, inside of his car.
What We Know:
- Indian Red Boy, whose real name is Zerail Rivera, was on Instagram Live having a conversation with another male on the app when shots were fired. The gruesome video, which social media companies are trying to remove, quickly circulated around the internet. It showed Rivera yelling “get help” while being shot multiple times, with some reports stating he was shot in the face.
- Fans on the video asked Rivera where he was located in order to send help. They witnessed the 21-year-old take his last breaths and become “slumped in the front seat.” Emergency personnel pronounced Rivera died at the scene.
- Lieutenant Ti Goetz has stated that the shooting appeared to have been a walk-up shooting and Rivera was targeted. A motive has not been determined, but officials believe that it could have been gang-related. Others suspect that Rivera was killed as retaliation for allegedly disrespecting a mural of the late rapper, Nipsey Hussle.
- Nipsey Hussle was outside his clothing store, The Marathon Clothing, in South Los Angeles with friends and fans in March 2019. He was approached by Eric Holder and the two shared a conversation, as both men were a part of the gang “Rollin 60s Crips.” The conversation went left when Hussle brought up claims of Holder being a snitch. Holder left the store and returned back with his gun, shooting Hussle over 10 times, hitting him in the head, lungs, and spine. The Grammy-winning rapper died at the hospital and Holder was arrested days later for murder and the attempted murder of two others. Due to COVID-19, Holder’s trial setting hearing has been pushed to September 7th.
- Many of Rivera’s fans have left their condolences under his postings on his Instagram page. Social media influencer and rapper Kapone, who was the friend on the video with Rivera, posted a tribute to the young rapper on IG before making his page private. Kapone has since deleted his Twitter page (@KAPONENUMBA3) after fans came out and said he was the one who actually vandalized the mural dedicated to Hussle and that he would be next.
Hawthorne Police Department has no leads on who the shooter is, as they were not seen on the IG Live video. They urge those with information to come forward.